Professor Robert Chambers, Institute of Development Studies, Universityof Sussex
' an excellent course book for both under-graduates and graduates, and well-endowed with teaching and learning techniques. It has high ambitions in scope and depth and fulfils them handsomely. As a course text, it must dominate the field.'
Professor Piers Blaikie, Emeritus Professor, Schoolof DevelopmentStudies, Universityof East Anglia.
'Geographies of Development: An Introduction to Development Studies reflects its intended interdisciplinary appeal, while remaining faithful to its explication of spatial imperatives and impresses of often complex processes. The authors provide carefully balanced and accessible surveys of the respective terrains, conceptual and empirical, highlighting areas of consensus and dissention. The scope of coverage is impressive.'
Professor David Simon, Department of Geography, Royal Holloway, Universityof London
Geographies of Development: An Introduction to Development Studies remains a core, balanced and comprehensive introductory textbook for students of Development Studies, Development Geography and related fields. Its holistic approach encourages critical engagement by integrating theory alongside practice and related key topics throughout the text. It demonstrates informatively that ideas concerning development have been many and varied and highly contested varying from time to time and from place to place.
New to this Third Edition
- Improved colour layout and organisation improves access to key concepts, topics and themes.
- New in-chapter features Key Ideas and Key Thinkers, Critical Reflections, plus Case Studies and Key Points all encourage critical engagement with material from both scholarly and popular sources.
- A concluding account that examines development studies in its wider interdisciplinary context.
- Extended coverage of pressing subjects such as the nature and definition of development, progress with the Millennium Development Goals, new approaches to development theory, alternative development, post-colonialism, anti-globalisation and anti-development, poverty reduction strategies, the changing digital divid...
Bli först att betygsätta och recensera boken Geographies of Development.
- Häftad (paperback)
- Språk: Engelska
- Antal sidor: 576
- Utg.datum: 2008-05-01
- Upplaga: 3
- Förlag: Prentice Hall
- Medarbetare: Binns, Tony / Elliott, Jennifer / Smith, David W.
- Illustrationer: Illustrations, maps
- Dimensioner: 265 x 195 x 30 mm
- Vikt: 1230 g
- Antal komponenter: 1
- ISBN: 9780132228237
Fler böcker av Robert Potter
Bloggat om Geographies of Development
Table of Contents
1. Questioning Development
2. Understanding Colonialism
3. Theories and Strategies of Development
4. Globalisation, Development and Underdevelopment
5. People in the Development Process
6. Resources and the Environment
7. Institutions of Development
8. Movements and Flows
9. Urban Spaces
10. Rural Spaces