- Häftad (Paperback / softback)
- Antal sidor
- Milton, Kay / Yearly, Steven
- Black & white illustrations
- 234 x 156 x 10 mm
- Antal komponenter
- 49:B&W 6.14 x 9.21 in or 234 x 156 mm (Royal 8vo) Perfect Bound on White w/Gloss Lam
- 259 g
Du kanske gillar
Ruth R WisseInbunden
New Consumer Marketing
Protecting the Periphery
Environmental Policy in Peripheral Regions of the European Union439
First published in 1994. ln Protecting the Periphery the editors present a series of papers revealing the impact of EU policies on environmental quality in regions at the edge of the European Union and in those lying just outside it. In many cases these regions contain habitats and landscapes of international importance; they have also often escaped some of the environmental damage caused by industrialization. But, as the papers' reveal, attempts by the EU to safeguard these environmental benefits are often contradicted by the EU's own development policies, bringing air pollution from new roads, contamination from new industries, and leading to habitat destruction from modern agricultural practices and increases in tourism. As the Union pushes for the deepening of the integration process, including completing the internal market, the pressures on the periphery's environment are increasing. Furthermore, the efforts of the periphery to catch-up economically with the developed core can often heighten the tension between economic considerations on the one hand and the need for environmental protection on the other. The studies in this book examine the ambivalent responses to EU environmental policy among policy-makers and environmentalists in the periphery. Both the willingness as well as the capacity of the periphery to protect its environmental heritage are explored. In particular, the administrative capacity, institutional arrangements, political culture as well as economic development needs are taken into account in an examination of the nature of the periphery's response to and implementation of Union environmental policy. The book will appeal to policy-makers and academics in the countries of the European periphery and to analysts of European policy-making everywhere, especially those concerned with environmental policy and politics.
- Skickas inom 10-15 vardagar.
- Gratis frakt inom Sverige över 159 kr för privatpersoner.
KundrecensionerHar du läst boken? Sätt ditt betyg »
1. Environmental Policy and Peripheral Regions of the European Union: An Introduction Steven Yearley, Susan Baker and Kay Milton 2. Policy Co-ordination in Brussels: Environmental and Regional Policy Sonia Mazey and Jeremy Richardson 3. Policy Networks on the Periphery: EU Environmental Policy and Scotland Elizabeth Bomberg 4. Administrative Capacity and the Implementation of EU Environmental Policy in Ireland Carmel Coyle 5. National Environmental Policy-making in the European Framework: Spain, Greece and Italy in Comparison Geoffrey Pridham 6. Spanish Pollution Control Policy and the Challenge of the European Union Susana Aguilar-Fernandez 7. Environment and the State in the EU Periphery: The Case of Greece Maria Kousis 8. The European Union and Visegrad Countries: The Case of Energy and Environmental Policies in Hungary Janne Haaland Matlary 9. Ups and Downs of Czech Environmental Awareness and Policy: Identifying Trends and Influences Petr Jehlicka and Jan Kara