- Inbunden (Hardback)
- Antal sidor
- Cambridge University Press
- Cecilia E., Ford
- Series Number 9 Grammar in Interaction: Adverbial Clauses in American English Conversations
- 236 x 158 x 19 mm
- Antal komponenter
- 44:B&W 5.5 x 8.5 in or 216 x 140 mm (Demy 8vo) Case Laminate on Creme w/Gloss Lam
- 409 g
Du kanske gillar
Grammar in Interaction
Adverbial Clauses in American English Conversations949
Finns även som
- Skickas inom 7-10 vardagar.
- Gratis frakt inom Sverige över 159 kr för privatpersoner.
Cecilia E. Ford explores the question: what work do adverbial clauses do in conversational interaction? Her analysis of this predominating conjunction strategy in English conversation is based on the assumption that grammars reflect recurrent patterns of situated language use, and that a primary site for language is in spontaneous talk. She considers the interactional as well as the informational work of talk and shows how conversationalists use grammar to coordinate their joint language production. The management of the complexities of the sequential development of a conversation, and the social roles of conversational participants, have been extensively examined within the sociological approach of Conversation Analysis. Dr Ford uses Conversation Analysis as a framework for the interpretation of interclausal relations in her database of American English conversations. Her book contributes to a growing body of research on grammar in discourse, which has until recently remained largely focused on monologic rather than dialogic functions of language.
Skickas inom 7-10 vardagar289
KundrecensionerHar du läst boken? Sätt ditt betyg »
Fler böcker av Cecilia E Ford
Cecilia E Ford
This collection of previously unpublished, cutting-edge research discusses the conversation analysis (CA) approach to understanding language use. CA is the dominant theory for analysing the social use of language and is concerned with the descript...
Cecilia E Ford, Barbara A Fox, Sandra A Thompson
This collection of previously unpublished, cutting-edge research discusses the conversation analysis (CA) approach to understanding language use. CA is the dominant theory for analyzing the social use of language and is concerned with the descript...
1. Introduction; 2. Overview of the conversational corpus; 3. Initial adverbial clauses; 4. Final versus initial adverbial clauses in continuous intonation; 5. Final adverbial clauses after ending intonation; 6. Comparison of clause types and apparent deviations from the general patterns; 7. Conclusion.