- Häftad (Paperback / softback)
- Antal sidor
- Baby Ice Dog Press
- Black & white illustrations
- 229 x 152 x 20 mm
- Antal komponenter
- 402:B&W 6 x 9 in or 229 x 152 mm Perfect Bound on Creme w/Matte Lam
- 518 g
Du kanske gillar
The Witcher Boxed Set
Andrzej SapkowskiMixed media product
Girls Like Funny Boys259
Part coming of age story and part exploration of the maddening nature of dreams, Girls Like Funny Boys is a potent mix of sexual obsession, guilt and fame.
- Skickas inom 5-8 vardagar.
- Gratis frakt inom Sverige över 199 kr för privatpersoner.
'Gina crouched, resting on her haunches to continue the conversation. Her legs were too far apart. There was a hole in her black tights just above the left knee. Johnny felt a hot urge to poke a finger in it. He wished she'd leave him alone. He wished she wasn't wearing tights. He stared at her lopsided mouth and the way her fat lower lip jutted out. It was so red it bordered on purple, the colour of strawberries on the turn.'
Meet Johnny Goodwin. He's grown up in a quiet Brisbane suburb with loving parents, a faithful dog and an unrequited yearning for his teenage sweetheart, Angie Everson. Now in his last year at school, he's finally caught her eye by starring in a teacher-baiting pantomime. Dreams are already taking shape of a career in entertainment, perhaps with Angie by his side.
And all he's got to do is pass his exams, get to uni and keep away from Gina Wood, that weird girl who once let him touch her...
"Girls Like Funny Boys wasn't what I expected - and that's simply not fair as Dave Franklin's not meant to be writing to a formula. But I really didn't expect to find this as engaging, as involving and quite as emotional as I did. I loved Johnny, rode the waves of his life every step of the way. I laughed out loud at points in this book, and found myself sniffing back tears at others... Most of all I just loved this book." - Australian Crime Fiction
KundrecensionerHar du läst boken? Sätt ditt betyg »
Fler böcker av Dave Franklin
born in wales, dave franklin published his first story atsixteen in a national fishing magazine. he immigrated to australia and made his living as a reporter, earning the distinction of being sacked twice by a perth-based newspaper group. he then spent nearly three years teaching english in korea, during which the mortality rate of the children under his care remained at an impressive zero. he now teaches esl to adults in brisbane, helping (among others) thai lady boys get to grips with their past participles.
the major theme of dave's small, character-driven stories is alienation, the symptoms of which include male immaturity, misogyny, dysfunction, xenophobia, religion, violenceand a childish glee in winding up the politically correct. his books lack car chases and explosions; instead he prefers outlandish, twisted sex scenes that focus on exasperated loners full of doubt.
readers who like his work tend to see its black comedy (and disdain for his own characters) whereas his harshest critics take everything at face value. indeed, some observers would suggest the highlight of his writing career, which has produced ten novels, remains being published in a fishing magazine.
contact him on email@example.com's a handy guide to his full-length work:
1. Looking For Sarah Jane Smith
2. Manic Streets of Perth
3. English Toss on Planet Andong
4. Evil Arse Soup: Three Ultra-Dark Comedies (Anthology of the above)
5. The Muslim Zombies
1. Straitjacket Blues: Stories of Unease
2. The Goodreads Killer
3. Begin The Madness: The Straitjacket Blues Trilogy (Anthology of the above)
4. Nice Man Jack: A Jack The Ripper Novella
PSYCHOLOGICAL / CRIME
1. Girls Like Funny Boys
2. To Dare A Future
3. Blundering Blokes (Anthology of the above that includesSarah Jane Smith)
4. Riders on the Storm and Other Killer Songs
5. Saving a Child from God
6. A Promise of Pain (Anthology of the above novels plus two novellas and a short story)
1. Bawdy Blokes: Three Porno Funnies
2. Welcome to Wales, Girls: A Violent Odyssey of Pornographic Filth