- Inbunden (Hardback)
- Antal sidor
- Bloomsbury Academic USA
- black & white illustrations
- 236 x 155 x 20 mm
- Antal komponenter
- 52:B&W 6.14 x 9.21in or 234 x 156mm (Royal 8vo) Case Laminate on White w/Gloss Lam
- 481 g
Du kanske gillar
Religion, Material Culture and Archaeology1809
Religion, Material Culture and Archaeology offers a new understanding of the materiality of religion. By drawing on the field of archaeological theory and method, the relationship between religion and material culture is explored. It is argued that the material elements of religious life have been largely neglected by the discipline of religious studies, while at the same time religion has been traditionally seen as problematic for archaeologists. Why do we not talk of the discipline of the archaeology of religion, in the same way we do the anthropology of religion, or the sociology of religion? The volume considers the historical problems of approaching the material elements of religious life and bridges the methodological gap between religious studies and archaeology by proposing a new way of understanding the materiality of religion - as active, engaged and projecting a level of autonomous social agency. Finally, the critical examination of archaeological approaches to the materiality of religion is furthered through the consideration of non-archaeological ways of examining the social roles that material culture plays in human life.
- Skickas inom 10-15 vardagar.
- Gratis frakt inom Sverige över 159 kr för privatpersoner.
KundrecensionerHar du läst boken? Sätt ditt betyg »
Julian Droogan is a Lecturer at Macquarie University, Australia.
1. Introduction: The Spiritual versus the Material? 2. Religion, Material Culture and Archaeology 3. Archaeologies of Religion 4. Phenomenology and the Archaeology of Sacred and Profane Landscapes 5. Archaeology and the Materiality of Religion 6. Conclusions Bibliography Index