- Inbunden (Hardback)
- Antal sidor
- Third Edition
- Rowman & Littlefield
- Illustrations, unspecified; Tables; Black & White Illustrations
- 229 x 160 x 25 mm
- Antal komponenter
- 9:B&W 6 x 9 in or 229 x 152 mm Case Laminate on Creme w/Gloss Lam
- 590 g
Du kanske gillar
The Sum of Us
48 Laws of Power
Bob Woodward, Robert CostaInbunden
The Jews of Khazaria379
The Jews of Khazaria explores the history and culture of Khazaria-a large empire in eastern Europe (located in present-day Ukraine and Russia) in the early Middle Ages noted for its adoption of the Jewish religion. The third edition of this modern classic features new and updated material throughout, including new archaeological findings, new genetic evidence, and new information about the migration of the Khazars. Though little-known today, Khazaria was one of the largest political formations of its time-an economic and cultural power connected to several important trade routes and known for its religious tolerance. After the royal family converted to Judaism in the ninth century, many nobles and common people did likewise. The Khazars were ruled by a succession of Jewish kings and adopted many hallmarks of Jewish civilization, including study of the Torah and Talmud, Hebrew script, and the observance of Jewish holidays. The third edition of The Jews of Khazaria tells the compelling true story of this kingdom past.
- Skickas inom 7-10 vardagar.
- Gratis frakt inom Sverige över 159 kr för privatpersoner.
KundrecensionerHar du läst boken? Sätt ditt betyg »
Fler böcker av Kevin Alan Brook
Kevin Alan Brook
The Jews of Khazaria chronicles the history of the Khazars, a people who, in the early Middle Ages, founded a large empire in eastern Europe (located in present-day Ukraine and Russia). The Khazars played a pivotal role in world history. Khazaria ...
Recensioner i media
This third, revised edition of Kevin Brook's well-received publication succeeds in elucidating controversial issues, while contextualizing the Khazar polity within the competitive ninth- to eleventh-century world. As a full exploration in English of the history and culture of the Khazars, this volume is without equal. -- Edward J. Lazzerini, Indiana University
Kevin Alan Brook is an American historian and genetic genealogy consultant who has researched the Khazars since 1993. He contributed an article about the Khazars to The Encyclopaedia of Judaism, second edition, and wrote an introduction for Rabbi Daniel Korobkin's translation of The Kuzari. He also researches Sephardic Jewish migrations throughout the world and the presence of Jewish ancestry among Latin Americans, Sicilians, and Slavs. His website is Khazaria.com.
1. The Origins of the Khazars 2. The Cities and Towns of the Khazars 3. The Structure of the Khazar Government 4. The Khazar Way of Life 5. Khazarian Trade 6. The Khazars' Conversion to Judaism 7. Relations between the Khazars and Other Peoples 8. The Decline and Fall of the Khazar Empire 9. The Diaspora of the Khazars 10. Eastern and Central European Jews after the Tenth Century Appendix A: Timeline of Khazar History Appendix B: Glossary Appendix C: Native Khazarian Personal Names Appendix D: Other Instances of Conversion to Judaism in History